Monday, August 11, 2008

Countdown to Saugerties Artists Studio Tour

The high point of Saugerties' art season -- the Saugerties Artists' Studio Tour. It's this Saturday and Sunday, August 16th and 17th, from 10-5. On Friday the 15th, from 5-7, the opening of the group show at the Opus 40 Gallery.

Already, you can see several artists' work on display at the Shelley K. Gallery and the Michael Nelson Gallery, both on Partition Street in Saugerties, and in store windows throughout town (I'm in the Muddy Cup/Inquiring Mind window, otherwise known as the Muddy Mind).

So to count down to the tour, I'm going to preview a few of the tour artists here, starting with Barbara Bravo, the guiding and inspiring spirit without whom there'd be no tour.

From her web page:

The concept for my signature work emerged when I realized how much pleasure I get from surrounding myself with flowers. In combining my two passions, pottery and flowers, I have been able to create a variety of styles and forms that are both functional and decorative. Often the forms are altered, added-to or cut-away from and when I'm satisfied with the basic form, hand sculpted flowers, leaves or other design elements are added. We are pleased to offer a variety of items in 13 categories for use in home decor and as gifts.

Barbara's images are protected, so you'll have to go to her web site to see them, but they're well worth it.

No comments: