Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Battle of the Decades

The inauguration. It alreadyn seems a long time ago, doesn't it? We're solidly into the Obama regime, and yeah, things feel different. But we danced in the streets, with Martha and the Vandellas, and Martha danced away with it.

Martha 7
4 Non Blondes 3

No votes for Santana, after I defected. But I'm not sorry.

On songs recycling through again -- I say let 'em. They're up against different competition, and as Mike says, it would be nice to get a second chance to vote for Santana. And for those of us not so familiar with 4 Non Blondes, we welcomed a second chance to make their acquaintance, even if we mostly didn't vote for them. That's OK, I think they won last time out with the whippersnapper vote. And maybe like Jim Rice, if they come back often enough they'll win everyone over. I think we're doing it again -- I'm fairly certain we had "Linda" before. I think she even got Jon's vote.


40S ON 4
Buddy Clark o/Ray Noble
Linda




50S ON 5
The Five Satins
In the Still of the Night


60S ON 6
Percy Sledge
When A Man Loves A Woman ('66)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkIidzxL-iA

70S ON 7
4 Seasons
Who Loves You ('75)



80S ON 8
Greg Kihn Band
Jeopardy ('83)



90S ON 9
Shawn Colvin
Sunny Came Home




Greg Kihn -- not bad, just boring. Not to be confused with Weird Al Yankovic's (I Lost on) Jeopardy -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_JIg9NB47M

I never liked the Four Seasons even with their best material, even if they were Jersey Boys (apologies to Jerseyans).

Linda's a lovely tune, but she falls victim to my next axe. Maybe next time. I'll keep waiting...she's still walking.

I love Shawn Colvin. If this were her version of "Viva Las Vegas" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=208pX4UMWi0 -- it doesn't come on right at the beginning) she'd have me. She and Emmylou are playing UPAC in Kingston in February, but I won't be able to spring the price of a ticket.

Again, a crowded field at the top -- and I'd put Linda and Shawn very near the top. "When a Man Loves a Woman" is one of the most purely romantic songs ever recorded. It would melt the heart of Hard Hearted Hannah. But I gotta go with my first love -- the classic R&B/DooWop era. And there aren't many better songs from that era better than "In the Still of the Night," here presented as by "Fred Parris and the Satins," and sure enough there are only four Satins. I can't figure out what this is from -- a 50s rocksploitation movie, but where's Allen Freed? OK...it's Sweet Beat (1959) -- "An aspiring singer wins a trip to London and is promised a record deal, but when she gets there an underhanded American record producer spirits her off to New York and away from her boyfriend." The rat! But it features the Satins, the Mello Kings, Lee Allen, and Jeri Lee as Herself (stripper).

And a BOTD extra -- if you know the Chuck Miller version of "House of Blue Lights," or the Asleep at the Wheel version, or the George Thorogood version, or the Manhattan Transfer (not so good) check out the original by Ella Mae Morse -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO5ysmjLlaw -- which is also the first use I've ever heard of "Homey."

And finally, your BOTD Question of the Week: Which fictional Hot Spot would you rather spend an evening in?

(a) The House of Blue Lights
(b) The House of the Rising Sun
(c) Hernando's Hideaway
(d) I Like it Like That

No comments: