Wednesday, March 04, 2009

A couple of Goodreads reviews

Beatlesongs Beatlesongs by William J. Dowlding


My review


rating: 1 of 5 stars
How do books like this get published? It's a clip job, no new material, no original research, and not even a very good clip job.


Jazz in the Movies (A Da Capo paperback) Jazz in the Movies by David Meeker


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
Now, this is some nice research -- if it's not every movie, video or DVD with jazz in it, including a description of the scenes with jazz, the players, the players playing for actors, then it's damn close. It's from da Capo, which never fails to publish the best books on music. The Beatle book was put out by Fireside, which once published my country music book that I put real work into.


View all my reviews.


Jazz on Film: The Complete Story of the Musicians and Music Onscreen Jazz on Film: The Complete Story of the Musicians and Music Onscreen by Scott Yanow


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I'm sure the da Capo book is excellent, because it's from da Capo, but this is the one I actually read. So see my other review.


View all my reviews.

No comments: