Friday, April 18, 2008

Poem a Day -- day 17

Write a poem in the 3rd person. You can describe a scene, an event, whatever. But there's to be no use of "I," "me," "my," etc.--not even "you" or "we." No, keep yourself completely out of this poem. I'll leave the subject of your poem up to you. (Note: There is a way, of course, to include yourself. You can write about yourself as "he" or "she" depending on your gender. If you would normally write, I woke up in the morning, then for this prompt write, He woke up in the morning.

I disagree with Robert Lee Brewer here. If you're going to write in the third person, write in the third person. Create a character. And I disagree about limiting yourself to your own gender.

Easy enough advice for me, because writing personal lyrics is nice and ease, and I never, ever do anything nice and easy. I do it nice and rough.

So here's today's poem. Our hero still hasn't crossed the border. Now he's keeping an eye, and filing a report on, this border guard who may or may not exist.


He carries a
Kalashnikov rifle
with a red dot scope
night vision
binoculars

sometimes he walks sentry
with a vest made of
dynamite
his hand on the
detonator button

age and hair color
unconfirmed
may not always
be the same but what is
and what doesn't change

that cell phone
that woman's breasts
those coded messages
if they fell into
the wrong hands

could change the shape
of the whole eastern front
curious they'd trust
him so close
to the border

No comments: