Thursday, August 31, 2006

Two Nudes



People ask me from time to time how long it takes me to complete one of these pointillist pieces, so I've started noting when I start and when I finish them. "Nude on Chair With Muybridge Figures" took close to four weeks; "Nude on Blanket With Sand," amazingly, only one week, but I was working pretty intently. Because of the way I do these -- working in Microsoft Paint, and building in the color deterioration that happens in Paint -- I always do two paintings at a time, because in order to get the full effect of the color breakdown, I have to constantly save and reopen an image. That's why the pointillism -- I work in dots of color which will break down as long as there's empty space around them, then build in more and more dots until they finally come together in an area of color. I've been working on a large and complex one, and I finished the Muybridge nude in the middle of it, so I had to start another, and the nude in the sand got the call. She's now finished too, and I still have a little more to do on the other picture. So, yes, I've started a new one.

No comments: